10 Interesting Facts for Novembers Birthstone Topaz.
Sometimes it can be a struggle to find the perfect gemstone for your loved one. A great way of selecting the one that is right is by birthstone. Novembers birthstone is Topaz. Here are 10 interesting facts that will increase your knowledge and ability to impress.
- Topaz can be found in many colours with light blue being the most popular. Closely followed by golden yellow and green. The rarest being pink.
- Topaz has a hardness rating of 8 on the Mohs scale, so it is very durable. For comparisons sake diamonds are rated 10 on the Mohs scale.
- The largest cut yellow topaz in the world weighs a staggering 22,892cts. The rough crystal was found in Minas Gerais, Brazil.
- The gemstone can be found in many different countries including Brazil, USA, Sri Lanka, Burma, Russia, Australia, Tasmania, Mexico, Japan and Africa, to name but a few.
- Russia is the renowned locality for the rare pink topaz.
- Irradiation is a treatment which can turn a colourless topaz into the familiar blue.
- Interestingly topaz is found in volcanic lavas which have cooled down over millions of years and as stream pebbles (known as alluvial).
- The name topaz derives from the Sanskrit meaning fire.
- The Egyptians believed that the golden yellow topaz was coloured by the sun god “Ra”.
- Topaz can be given as a wedding anniversary gift for the 4th and 19th year of marriage.
Selling luxury second hand jewellery, Miltons Diamonds come across a lot of very unique and exquisite items of jewellery. To see our fascinating range click here. To see the diamond Topaz ring in the picture in 360 click here.
If you have an item of jewellery that you wish to sell or get valued, please contact us here.